The shelter is accepting applications on adoptable animals and will be conducting meet and greets/adoptions by appointment only. If your application is first on the animal that you apply for, an animal shelter staff member will call you at their earliest convenience. Thank you for your patience as we navigate through this pandemic.
Applicants must be 18 years of age and fill out an online application to be considered for the interested animal. Applicants who provide conflicting or inconsistent information or who misrepresent information on the adoption application or during the interview will not be considered for adoption. Applicants cannot:
- Have a documented history of animal abuse or neglect.
- Use the animal for experimental or research purposes.
- Adopt an animal for another person who has been refused and adoption.
- Have a documented history of animal abandonment including an animal being impounded at the shelter and not reclaimed.
- Have a history of surrendering an animal to a facility for reasons which may be considered irresponsible pet ownership (too many animals, refusal or inability to afford sterilization, etc.).
- Have a history whose animal has recently died of an infectious disease or unknown cause deemed suspicious, or who has failed to seek reasonable veterinary care for a sick animal.
- Adopt a small mammal such as a rabbit or guinea pig to use for eating or breeding purposes
- Reside in a rental property in which the landlord does not allow pets
Adoption Application and Worksheet
In order to alleviate several individuals wanting to adopt the same animal at the same time, animals will be made available to a person based on submission of the adoption application to Animal Control and Rescue for that specific animal. Please access this website to see our adoptable pets. The animal in question will be made available for adoption by the first APPROVED application that was submitted for that pet. If the first adoption application is declined or decides they do not want the animal, the next application will be evaluated and so on until an application is approved and the animal is adopted. If we are unable to reach the first applicant and they do not return our call within 24 hours, we will move on to the next approved applicant.
An Adoption Application can be filled out for an animal during a hold period or when it is already available. If an application is completed for an animal that is being held as a stray or pending a case, the approved applicant will be notified when the animal becomes available for adoption. Approved applications that were not linked to an adoption will be held for six months from the date approved.
Foster animals are an exception to the application rule. Applications shall not be accepted for animals in foster care until the animals are within one week of being placed for adoption. The foster family that is caring for the foster pet shall have priority to adopt the foster animal. Foster families are encouraged to market their foster pets while they are in foster care and therefore may have adopters selected prior to the foster animals returning to the shelter. In this situation, adoptions will be granted to the individuals selected by the foster family. Once a foster animal is returned to the shelter and/or the shelter has begun to accept applications on the animal, the foster family and other individuals must adhere to the adoption application procedures.
Alterations and Vaccinations
It is by Missouri law that all dogs and cats adopted from the shelter be surgically altered by means of spaying or neutering. The surgery will take place before the animal can be taken home with the adopter. Each adopted animal will also be vaccinated upon adoption. Any cat or dog above 3 months of age is required to be vaccinated against the Rabies virus. All cats and dogs will receive their core vaccines.
Adoption fees for the animal help to reimburse vet services such as spay/neuter, vaccinations, parasite exam, etc. Prices will vary with the species, sex, and size of the animal and can range from $5 to $130.